Tuesday 22 September 2015

parkrun touring - 4 in 5 plus 2 in 2. And one.


Following on from an earlier blog post about my parkrun touring over the years, I thought it was worth an update after I've been on a bit of a touring splurge in May and July (and added another one in September). May saw 5 different parkruns in 5 weeks (4 of them new) while I did  two new ones in July. As usual every parkrun has something different and unique....yet all follow the simple, effective formula that was made parkrun such a success

parkrun event number 23 - Preston Park parkrun

Despite the name, this isn't in Preston, instead it's in Brighton in a large park to the north of the city. I was there on Ambassador business (hush hush nod wink) and planned a leisurely jog as part of my post marathon recovery. It didn't quite turn out like that.....

The course itself is pretty flat and all on tarmac. It's essentially in the shape of a P. Starting halfway round the curved part you head anti-clockwise down to the bottom of the straight line, pull a U-turn then head back up the line, round the curve and back down the line, Twice. That probably doesn't make sense, but it's a nice flat course with ample opportunity to say hello to runners ahead and behind you, and also see marshals multiple times.
Though I ha intended an averaged paced run, I set off fairly fast and somehow kept going, each mile seemed OK and I felt I was on for a good time .....I was still shocked when I whizzed past the timers after just 21 minutes and 12 seconds........and a whopping parkrun PB of 83 seconds. The excellent post run butty tasted even better after that.

parkrun event number 24 - Milton Keynes parkrun

A week later and I was on the road again on Saturday morning - this time heading north to Nottingham for a stag do. I was due in Nottingham by 12ish so ample opportunity to grab a parkrun on the way. After considering various options I plumped for Milton Keynes as handy for the M1 and far enough along to make the run and breakfast and still arrive on time.
Accompanied by my friend (and chauffer) Dave who is an intermittent parkrunner, we got there in good time  - note you need to pay for parking.
I managed a chat with ED Gareth before the start and then et off - it's a reasonably narrow early stage which meant for some congestion as MK gets several hundred runners! After a bit of zig-zagging up a hill you're rewarded with a fabulous view over a grassy bowl with the central lake beyond it. You descend into the bowl and then go round the lake with a view of the lead runners stretching off into the distance. I posted a reasonably decent time of 23:01  - which was a good thing as the scanning queue gets quite long as you head into the mid 20s (though as usual, everyone was in good form with no grumbling).
We grabbed a cooked breakfast in the Premier Inn (vital ahead of the stag!) and then joined the core team and several other tourists in the main café - as always had to drag myself away as we had an appointment to meet.
MK is a great parkrun though the numbers can be a little daunting, the scenery make sup for it though. As for the stag - well, what goes on tour etc ;-)

parkrun event number 25 - Perry Hall parkrun

3rd week in a row on tour......but I wasn't alone on this trip. I was in Birmingham for the annual parkrun Ambassadors' conference which meant I was surrounded by other parkrun fanatics  - not least the legendary PSH himself and the parkrun UK head honcho Tom Williams.
Suffice to say I wasn't in prime condition for the run - well, that's what drinking and talking parkrun until 3 in the morning does to you! I'm more than halfway convinced I was still drunk on the start line, so a fast time was never in question........
The course itself is a pancake flat 2 lapper in almost (but not quite) a figure of 8 (as you don't cross over) on a mixture of grass and paths. Under normal conditions it would be a good opportunity for a PB - but these weren't normal conditions! It was however a great experience to run round with so many parkrun legends, and core team did a superb job dealing with the influx of hungover and loudmouthed ambassadors :-)

parkrun event number 26 - Wythenshawe parkrun

My final tour in May was to Wythenshawe parkrun on the outskirts of Manchester. I was there to see FC United of Manchester's opening game of their new stadium - financed by the club members (including me actually). Despite the game being on Friday night (and starting on the beer at suitably early time!) I felt a lot better than at Perry Hall. After an unscheduled major transport malfunction (replacement bus services!) I made the start with 10 mins to spare and proceeded to clock a respectable 22:56. The course is another 2 lapper which twists and turns it's way through a variety of environments - open park, wood land paths, even a little garden area....all of which keep it interesting. There's a sharp left turn just before the finish which makes it difficult to build up a head of steam for a sprint finish but otherwise it's a good course which is well worth a visit.

parkrun event number 27 - Northala Fields

June saw a break from touring, instead I broke my Bedfont PB twice at my home event. In July I decided to visit Northala Fields - a reasonably new event not far from Bedfont. For once, I wasn't touring because I was away somewhere for another reason - it was purely and simply a decision to try and new event for the sake of it.
I plumped for Northala as I had heard good things about the course and the team and it was easy to get to. And boy I was glad I did.......
The course is a one lapper which starts by looping round these 3 massive mounds, raised with rubble from the Wembley construction (thankfully you don't have to run up them!) then doing a perimeter of the wider park before finishing with anther loop around the hills. I got a good start and managed to latch on to a leading group - passing them slowly through 2k and 3k before hanging on in the last km as I knew a good time was on the cards. And a good time was had as I managed to move into uncharted territory with a 20:37, much to my delight - I was also debuting my new 100 t-shirt which had just arrived

The post run café is handily located next to the finish line and I was even treated to a free tea by one of the runners afterwards. Northala has a strong Nepalese community involvement and if you run there keep an eye out for the elderly Nepalese ladies on the wall who watch all the runners come in :-)

parkrun event number 28 - Great Cornard parkrun

This was probably my most "parkrun" of all tourist visits, in that it symbolised a lot of what parkrun was about. Great Cornard is in Suffolk, close to the Essex border and I was in the area for a golf weekend in nearby Stoke-by-Nayland. I was carless, and none of my fellow golfers were keen on a 9am parkrun on the Saturday, preferring the siren call of a lie-in (most of them have young kids so I'll excuse them!)
Resigning myself to a taxi return trip, I chanced my arm and dropped an email to the event wondering if any runners were passing my way and would give me a lift either there or back. Quick as a flash the ED Lisa was onto me on Facebook, explaining that she was away but her sister Sam would be happy to give me a lift. Sam, her husband Carl and son Daniel promptly arrived at 8.15 at the hotel, transported me to the event, explained the course, chatted to me over coffee afterwards and dropped me back. Daniel even managed a PB. It was a classic case of how great parkrun is - they were happy to act as chauffer for a complete stranger for the morning to ensure I could get my parkrun fix!
The course at GC is quite technical as it is 2 and a bit laps round various playing fields, almost all on grass. There's lots of turns and lots of cones, so you need your wits about you!

parkrun event number 29 - Delamere parkrun

My last new event from my recent activity, and another one occasioned by a personal reason. This time I was near Chester for my friend Katie's wedding - so naturally looked for the nearest parkrun on the wedding day morning (with a 2pm wedding time, I had plenty of time). It turned out to be Delamere, a 25 min drive away in the beautiful Delamere forest. There was loads of parking near the start but it is pay parking - £2 for 1 hour if you're the turn up, run then leave type or £4 for 3 hours if you want a leisurely cuppa afterwards.
I got chatting to the RD Kay beforehand who promptly asked me if I was Rory - when I asked who she knew she said she recognised me from my various appearances on the parkrunshow podcast - fame at last!
The course is a single lapper heading out through the woods to Blakemere Moss Lake then around the perimeter of the lake before heading back the way you come. It's on gravelly paths and dirt with some undulations...so definitely not a PB course (it also gets congested at the start with ~300 runners). It is very scenic, especially on a foggy morning like this one was

I hung around after the run watching the other runners come in (6th highest attendance, must have known I was coming!), helping on the funnel and chatting with the core team, then repaired with them to the nearby café for an excellent bacon/sausage butty. All in all a great morning and perfect prep for a day of celebration

So I'm now up to 29 global events (26 in UK) and will be making in 30 global events next week when I take in the inaugural Tramore Valley parkrun in my home city of Cork, only 10 min drive from my family house. Needless to say I'm quite excited - an update to follow, hopefully not in 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment